Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Review


It was the year 2000 A.D. and I was seven years old. Unlike most kids my age, I had learned to read in preschool and was now reading books on the level that and average 5th grader might read, but I had never read a real novel. I had been reading crappy kids books like The Magic Tree House and other crap like that. It was light fluffy, and none of it stuck with me. I was starting to think that all books were like this. That was until, my mom came home with a book by a British lady that I had never heard of, that book was Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling. I started reading a few weeks after I got it, on a day that I had nothing to do on and I was hooked. the story that JK Rowling wrote captured my imagination at such a young age and I loved that series.
Now it's seven years later and the final book of the series has wrapped up. I'm glad I saw this series all the way through. The emotions that were evoked in me after the end of this book were similar to those that you get when you leave a longtime friend forever. I grew up with these characters and reading their final tale is enough to justify the prie of the book for me and make it worth reading.
That said, this book is pretty well written. There is a point in the middle where they are just wandering around when the story gets a little weak, but besides that Mrs. Rowling has crafted and enjoyable tale from start to finish. The books succeeds in tying up all the loose ends presented in the other 6 books but it also presents some new mysteries that are quite enjoyable to think about and the idea of the deathly hallows as a story point is genius and it presents a new sense of lore and mystery in the story.

The epilouge left me teary and for good reason, this series has been a masterpiece and it has turned my generation on to reading and I hope that it will be remembered as one of the greatest fantasy series ever written, right up there with The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.

No comments: